sparkwell zoo, b&b accommodation, hotel holiday accommodation, holiday dartmoor national park, tavistock, plymouth, eden project, south, holiday accommodation, ensuite, conway stewart hotel, sparkwell zoo
Walkhampton is a village and former civil parish on the western side of Dartmoor in the county of Devon, England. The village lies on the Black Brook, a tributary of the River Walkham, about 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) south-east of Tavistock, near the villages of Horrabridge, Yelverton and Dousland. In 2001 the population of the parish was 863.Burrator Reservoir, constructed in 1898, is to the south-east. The parish is now part of the large Burrator parish.
The village has a pub, the Walkhampton Inn, dating from the 17th century, and a primary school named Lady Modiford's School which was founded in 1719, though the present building with its distinctive bell and clock tower dates from the second half of the 19th century. In 2004 the school had 119 pupils in four classes.
Walkhampton church, which is Grade I listed, is on an ancient elevated site about half a mile north-west of the village. Unlike most churches which face east, it faces north-east, the direction of the rising sun on the longest day.The present building, which is built of granite and has a tower with four prominent pinnacles, dates from the 15th century, with much later alteration. For 400 years until 1985 the church had no dedication and was known simply as "Walkhampton Church", but in that year it was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. Research has indicated that it may have been originally dedicated to St Dionisius of Walkynton.
Church House, bearing the date 1698, but substantially 16th century in construction, is near the church. It was once an inn. Also nearby is an ancient stone cross which was reconstructed from parts found in a hedge. The base and shaft were re-erected in 1984 by relatives of the Lieutenant Goldsmith who in 1903 had discovered a cross on the moor; a head was added in 1991.
On the moorland above the village is Walkhampton Common which contains many important archaeological sites including at least eight stone rows, many cairns, cists, hut circles and reaves dating to the Bronze Age. There is also much evidence of tin mining from medieval times and later.
Crapstone is a village in the county of Devon. The village is located on the edge of Dartmoor and is approximately 1 mile from the village of Yelverton, 9 miles from the city of Plymouth and 5 miles from Tavistock.
During the Second World War Crapstone was the nearest village to RAF Harrowbeer. Members of the RAF crew were housed in the nearby villages of Crapstone, Yelverton and Buckland Monachorum. The Ministry of Defence maintained a defence site in Crapstone until the 1980s when the site was cleared and converted for residential use.
In 2007 Crapstone was used as the name of the village in a television advert for the RAC. Local residents started a protest group on the social networking site Facebook complaining that the village used in the television advert was not actually Crapstone but a location using its name. One member of the group has stated that the location for filming was near 'The Pimple' at Tavistock; however none of this was mentioned in the advert; not even in small print.
The industrial hub of the town is found in the Crapstone business park, while the chief financial district is located at the banking counter within the local post office.
Milton Combe is a village in Devon approximately 2 miles from Yelverton and 8 miles from the city of Plymouth. The name Milton Combe is derived from the village's historic name, first mentioned in 1249, of 'Mile Cumbe' literally meaning 'Middle Valley'. The Post Office gave the village its current name in 1890, to distinguish it from the many other 'Miltons' in the nearby area.
The Old School Guest House sparkwell zoo